Split dns slave servers.

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Sun Oct 6 19:46:31 UTC 2002

> we have a Split DNS configured for my domain. I have a slave server. I
want
> to configure it for  Split-DNS as redundancy. I mean It should have
internal
> view and external view. All view files should be transefered from master
> split DNS only.
>
> Is there any way we can do this.
>
> At present ,Either I can configure for External view or Internal view
slave
> server. I want both views as a slave server.
>
> Please tell me the solution , if you anybody of you has faced this
problem.

I think Nominum used to have this in their BIND FAQ, but I don't see
it now.

Basically, you need two IP addresses on the slave, and you need to
configure the master to put each of these addresses in a different
view.  Then there's a lot of trickery involved to make sure the NOTIFYs
go to the right place and so on.

It's one of the recipes in the DNS & BIND Cookbook, actually.  :-)
cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/