The CPU of DNS Server is very high

Cinense, Mark macinen at sandia.gov
Tue Jul 30 12:04:35 UTC 2002

Ana,  This used to happen to me as well, with Bind 8.2.x and 8.3.  What =
did was run a script that checks cpu utiliztion every 5 minutes.  When =
the
cpu gets to a certain percentage, the system will email me, and I can =
see
what is causing the cpu to get so high.  Well, I did this and it seems =
that
during the named-xfer run, right after an automated reload and restart =
of
the named daemon, it tops out.  For my situtation, named restarting, =
and
named-xfer running at the same time is what topped out the cpu.  You =
may
want to try the same thing, so that you can see when the cpu tops out =
at,
and go against your logs to see what is happening.  Hope this helps.

M A C
Sandia Labs