The CPU of DNS Server is very high

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 30 08:44:55 UTC 2002

Ana Paula Anjos <ap_anjos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Friends,

> I am having some problems that I don´t know how to treat it.. I have 2
> machines Sun Netra T1 (cpu 400Mhz) and Sun Netra T1125 (cpu 440 Mhz)
> with Solaris 8, 1024Mb RAM and Bind 8.2.4 installed.

> Lately, the CPU´s of these machines are keeping about 98% of
> occupation to the named process and, sometimes, the server doesn´t get
> answer the requests because there is no CPU.
> During the dawn, for example, the named process occupied about 30% of
> the CPU, and now it is about 95%.
> I´ve already done a "snoop" to look for something different and I just
> found some "domains" that don´t answer, but I believe that this cases
> don´t do this kind of problem. I took a look at the logs messages, but
> there is nothing strange.

> I don´t know what do and any hint will be very, very welcome.

What's the configuration ( especially the "options" section) ?

If the options sections don't hide any problems i would advize upgrading
to a recent version.  bind-9.2.1 works good with this OS,

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/8/bind-9.2.1-sol8-sparc-local.gz

could be installed as replacement ( you need to tweak your config sligtly
to make rndc usable )

--
Peter Håkanson