Two questions: 1) Two masters 2) xfr & reload.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 17 19:53:15 UTC 2002

Sergey Mende wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 1) I like to setup two master servers (and these will be the only servers)
> for the same zone. I understand that I should set `notify no` for this zone
> on both servers. Also I realize that I will have to the synchronize zone
> files myself.
> Are there any objections of technical nature against such a configuration?

Well, it breaks the "classic" model of DNS, but in technical terms it should
work.

If you ever get around to adding slaves, you'll want to turn NOTIFY back on.
Fortunately, in BIND 9, you can use "notify explicit" to avoid sending them to
masters.

> 2) Does bind make reload of the config file and database after successful
> xfr or it just changes the zone transferred?

Named doesn't reload the named.conf file unless told to or forced to. Normally
you wouldn't need to reload the named.conf file just because the contents of a
zone changed. You can use "reload <zone>" through ndc or rndc (see the
documentation) to force named to reload a specific zone.

- Kevin