Bind 9.2 installation

Joaquín Arza Laurenz jarza at unav.es
Thu Jan 31 11:40:47 UTC 2002

Hi all.

I am new in this list.
First of all, i've read the archives of the mailing list searching for
an answer, but haven't found what i was looking for.

I installed a new system with Red Hat 7.1, including BIND 9.1.3.
After that, i downloaded BIND 9.2 from ISC. I've compiled and installed
it, but now i have some problems with rndc:
        rndc: connection to remote host closed.
        This may indicate that the remote server is using an older
version of
        the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect, or
the key is invalid.
The reason is that there are two versions of rndc, one in /usr/sbin
(installed with Red Hat), and the other one in /usr/local/sbin, (9.2
version). The error appears when i use the second one.
It seems that the version currently running is 9.1 (/usr/sbin
directory), and version 9.2 is in /usr/local/sbin directory.
I've read in the README file that the installation directory can be
changed with the "--prefix" option when running "configure".
Is this the best way to install BIND 9.2 ?
Do i need to uninstall BIND 9.1.3 with rpm ?
If i want to preserve the previous version, how can i configure my
system to start with the version i want.

Thanks.