Slave not working when master down

lists at rak.radio.cz lists at rak.radio.cz
Thu Jan 31 08:37:08 UTC 2002

Hi,

on our network, I have two DNS servers plus one outside of our network.
Local DNS servers are a master and a slave and the remote one is slave as
well.

The problem is that when the master goes down for whatever reason, almost
ALL traffic on the network stops. We have linux workstations and at that
moment they freeze altogether. Could the problem be NFS, because they all
use it?

Anyway the question is - shouldn't the clients use secondary slave
for nslookups when the master is down? The clients are properly configured
- they have both DNS servers listed in /ect/resolv.conf - configured via
DHCP. Still it seems that when the master doesn't work, workstations don't
use the slave. And what's even worse - our network gets unreachable from
the Internet. Root NS records are proper - they point to the master and
the outside slave.

Both slave and master are running BIND, master is 9.2.0 and slave 8.2.2 (I
know, I am just about to upgrade...).

When I query the slave manually, all works fine.

Any idea or hint will be greatly appreciated!

Jan