Propagate new slave

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Oct 19 17:31:59 UTC 2001

In article <9qpjm9$6tq at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Ralph Brown  <php4u at pacbell.net> wrote:
>;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
>policing.net.           86400   IN      NS
>www.policing.net.policing.net.

This is the problem.  In your DB file you wrote:

  IN NS  www.policing.net

Since you didn't put a "." at the end of the hostname, it appended the
origin, resulting in:

  IN NS  www.policing.net.policing.net.

Since there's no hostname by this name, once this NS record is cached by a
server it won't be able to look anything up in your domain.

You have the same problem in your MX record:

  IN MX  1 mail.policing.net.policing.net.

Another problem is that your ISP has apparently not reconfigured
ns2.pbi.net from master to slave.

A third problem is that all your A records point to private IP addresses.
How is someone from outside your network supposed to access your mail/web
server when it has a 192.168.x.x address?  If you have NAT, you need to put
the public address in your DNS.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA