nsupdate question

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri May 11 09:48:11 UTC 2001

    Shane> I have been using bind9 for a while now and am looking at
    Shane> using dynamic DNS updates for a zone here.  I am however
    Shane> unable to find documentation on the API for the various DNS
    Shane> libraries such as libsnd and libisc.

These don't really exist unfortunately. The APIs to the BIND9 library
functions are largely documented by the #include files. I had been
working on a BIND9 Programmer's Manual but got diverted into other
things.

    Shane> The lwres library has extensive documentation but it
    Shane> doesn't look like it can compose nsupdate requests.

That's right. The lwres library is for making calls to the lightweight
resolver daemon.

    Shane> Does anyone knoe if there is documentation available on the
    Shane> new BIND libraries?  Specificly the nsupdate specific
    Shane> material?

I don't understand why you're looking for an API (=> writing code?) to
make Dynamic DNS requests. Is there some reason why you can't just use
the nsupdate program? It has a man page in doc/man/bin.