Changing Bind 9's logging

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Thu Mar 29 04:33:18 UTC 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, lawrence.a.kravets at us.arthurandersen.com wrote to...:

> [snip]
> Short of changing our desktop machines, is there any way to
> stop this logging in named.conf?  Here is a sample of what's in the
> log file....
>
> Mar 28 15:15:12 dnsserver-internal in.named[7072]: client 10.112.16.75#3569:
> update denied

You'll be better off to reconfigure the Win 2000 machines.  Otherwise even
if you manage to prevent the update rejection messages from being written
to your log, those Win 2000 machines will still be pummeling your name
server(s) with their useless update requests.

For PCs with Ethernet connections:
---------------------------------
o Right click "My Network Places".
o Select "Properties".
o Right click "Local Area Connection".
o Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)".
o Click "Properties".
o Click "Advanced".
o Select "DNS" tab.
o Remove checkmark from "Register this connection address in DNS".

For PCs with dialup connections:
-------------------------------
o Right click "My Network Places".
o Select "Properties".
o Right click "Dial-up Connection".
o Select "Properties".
o Select "Networking" tab.
o Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)".
o Click "Properties".
o Select "General" tab (it is probably the only tab).

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.