Error messages during zone transfer

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Sat Jan 20 04:40:08 UTC 2001

I have a primary and secondary name server where the secondary gets the
> name information from the master through a zone transfer.  When the
> secondary starts up, I get the following error message in the log.  I =
get
> the following 3 messages for each zone handled by this secondary.

So these on't happen during the zonetransfer, butnitial statup of the
secondary?

>=20
> Jan 19 22:11:03 ip2 ./named[1364]: dns_zone_load: zone =
washucsc.org/IN:
> could not find NS and/or SOA records
> Jan 19 22:11:03 ip2 ./named[1364]: dns_zone_load: zone =
washucsc.org/IN:
> has 0 SOA records
> Jan 19 22:11:03 ip2 ./named[1364]: dns_zone_load: zone =
washucsc.org/IN: no
> NS records

Sounds like what it says: The backup file named for each zone does not =
have
a valid zone in it (missing records).

A few possible causes:
	a) DO all zones point to the same backup file? If so, they kee =
overwriting
	   each other and thir could be one result.
	b) is the disk maybe full, so that the zones do not get properly =
written
	   to the backup file?

>=20
> What could be wrong?  I can post my zone file if that is helpful, but =
> didn't want to clutter the list if it's not needed.  The secondary =
seems
> to respond correctly, so it is working in spite of this message.

I guess it will have performed a zonetransfer and stored the zone =
internally.
But since it looks like your zone backup files are no good, it will have =
perform a full zonetransfer on each restart, even if a zone has not =
changed.

Yes, please post the config file and a zonefile.
Telling us the names of the zones and server will also allow checking of =
their
behaviour from here.