Bind 822p5, W2k AD in Delegated zone problem...

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Jan 2 16:46:44 UTC 2001

>You are right I want hosting.netsetgo.net to be AD integrated or at
>least Active Directory aware and allowed so that all hosting servers
>can join the AD and we then have a unified User ID's, management and
>backup solution using AD.
>
>Unless I missed something in bind it's correct.  for named.conf you
>can either have master, slave, or hint it's definitely not a hint or
>slave so it must be master.

I am still confused.  If you want the DNS zone

     hosting.netsetgo.net

to be AD-integrated, then define that zone on the W2k DNS box as an
AD-integrated zone.  You can have your BIND server be a slave for that
zone.

If your BIND server is a master, then you can have any or all
of the W2k Domain Controllers be slaves for the zone, assuming that
the DCs are running the DNS application.  In this case, each of the
DC slaves will be retrieving its zone from the BIND master independently
from the other DC slaves.

If, on the other hand, you want the W2k machines in the domain

     hosting.netsetgo.net

to be part of an AD, then you need to configure the Domain Controller(s)
and the machines to be part of AD.  The DNS configuration for the zone
is independent of whether you have AD activated (except for the case
where you have the master on a W2k DNS box and you want the zone to be
AD-integrated, in which case you must have activated AD).
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov