bind8.2 - db file on another server than master

Tony Rall usenet at almaden.ibm.com
Sat May 20 07:59:30 UTC 2000

In article <391C078E.9D389E89 at penguin.cz>,
Michal Kolesar  <kolisko at penguin.cz> wrote:
>Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
>>         Configure server1.nscom.cz as a slave, the other slaves
>>         will transfer from it without problems.
>
>It is not possible I think, because server1.nscom.cz is registered as a master
>server of
>egarden.cz domain on nic.cz server. nic.cz server is primary server of *.cz
>domains.
>I can't change master/slave data on nic.cz server.
>
>Server server1.nscom.cz is registered on nic.cz (which is top level of .cz domain)
>as a master domain
>server of egarden.cz domain. I have not acces to change data on server1.nscom.cz
>about my egarden.cz domain
>and I have not access change data on nic.cz about switch server1.nscom.cz from
>master to a slave.

There can be a difference between what are the "official" delegated
servers for a domain and what is the real master for a domain.  It is
not essential that the real master be delegated by the higher level
domain.  (At least I've done this for years with no apparent
problems.)

Currently you have:

> nslookup -qt=ns egarden.cz.
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

egarden.cz      nameserver = server1.nscom.cz
egarden.cz      nameserver = linux.casablanca.cz

The server for the cz domain thinks that the 2 servers listed above are
the only servers for egarden.cz.  But it doesn't know or care whether
either of them is the master.

I suspect the way they are really configured is that server1.nscom.cz
is the master and linux.casablanca.cz is the slave.  Without changing
anything else, you can configure server1.nscom.cz to be a slave to
some other machine which is not officially delegated.  Assuming you
don't include NS records for the other server in the zone file for
egarden.cz, the only one that will ever access that other machine will
be server1.nscom.cz, and that would be only for zone transfers.

(There is the question of how you specify the SOA record - what server
name do you put in it.  I always use the real master server name.)

--
Tony Rall