Reverse DNS and RFC 2317

Gary Wardell gwardell at Yeshua.cc
Thu May 18 16:39:37 UTC 2000

> >So. if the reciveing MTA is checking for a matchiung name in the MX
record
> >and the existance of a reversx PTR then I'm ok, right?
>
> Yes.  That should be fine, assuming there's a corresponding forward
> map A record for dsl.max63.isp.net pointing to your IP address.  You
> need an A record for mail.yeshua.cc pointing to your address too,
> obviously, but this is completely decoupled from where the reverse map
> points.

Oh, so all I need is to find out the name, or in this case get my ISP to
point to some name, any name, and then put an A record in my forward zone
file with that name and everything then will be cool???

> The reverse map gets looked up when you send mail (or make other types
> of connections as a client), so the receiving server knows more about
> what is connecting to it.  Some mail servers are configured to reject
> mail when they find a missing PTR record, or worse, one which can't be
> forward resolved to the same address.

Some things I read indicate, or would like to think, that an increasing
number of mail servers are going in this direction.

Should I, or is it worth my while, to look for another ISP if this one
won't setup the reverse?

Gary