FW: What is the difference between Ver. 4 and Ver. 8?

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Tue Feb 29 15:33:09 UTC 2000

There isn't enough information to determine what the BIND 4 problem is.
You said you configured BIND 8 on a Linux machine and it worked.
How does this explain a problem with BIND 4 on an AIX machine??

This requires general troubleshooting of the BIND 4 system.
On the BIND 4 system, do the following.

nslookup

at the prompt, do:

set d2
set all
ls -d <domain name>

At the nslookup prompt, do you get the correct server name and ip?
d2 will show the question asked. Is it correct?
set all will show the search list. Is it correct?

Look at /etc/resolv.conf.. Does it contain a nameserver at 127.0.0.1.
AIX doesn't like 127.0.0.1. Do not put a nameserver directive or use
0.0.0.0.

Does the ls show the records?

Michael

Michael Voight