Internal NS

Jared Johnson jared.johnson at tecstar.com
Thu Feb 24 23:14:03 UTC 2000

Pretty Typical Network Layout

               (Servers)                DMZ
                       |                           |
(Clients) --- LAN --- FW --- Router --- ISP

The clients are all DHCP assigned internal addresses and the servers are all
static internal addresses.  The nameserver is running DHPC also and is
updating NS with DDNS (not that it matters).  All the clients can resolve
98% when hitting sites on the WWW with the following exception.

Our clients can't seem to query https sites ie
(https://www.pcbanking.washingtonmutual.com/logon/)
We can resolve the top levels (ie washingtonmutual.com) just fine.  Other
banking sites and investing sites do the same.  This isn't a bad problem to
me because I don't have to limit the access to these sites now, but would
like to know what's causing this.  At first I thought it was the FW but the
log doesn't show any rejects during the query.  They work just fine if I use
my ISP's NS.

TECSTAR Inc.,  Applied Solar Division
Information Technology Support Center
Jared H. Johnson, IS Engineer