Primary & secondary masters

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sat Feb 26 00:20:14 UTC 2000

In article <000201bf7f79$1f9fcd00$5d42bcc1 at gen.nic.gov.jo>,
amjad kamal <aashqar at nic.gov.jo> wrote:
>Suppose a domain [dom.net] has the following:
>- one primary NS [PNS]
>- one secondary NS [SNS1]
>- one seconday NS [CNS2] loads from SNS1
>- one caching-only NS [CNS]

Caching-only nameservers don't belong to any particular domain, they serve
all domains equally.

>The SOA records for:
>PNS:
>        21600      ; refresh - 6 hours
>        3600       ; retry   - 1 hour
>        2592000    ; expire  - 1 month
>        345600 )   ; TTL     - 4 days
>
>From the above records, if PNS is down for such along time [10 days]
>after what period the dom.net zone can be no more served by:-
>1) SNS1 ??

30 days

>2) SNS2 ??

60 days

>3) CNS ??

60-64 days.  If someone looks the name up shortly before the 60 days are
up, it will keep it cached until 64 days.

Note that current versions of BIND don't actually stop serving a domain
when it expires.  They just start returning non-authoritative answers.  So
CNS will actually continue to work, but will start complaining about lame
servers for the domain alot.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com