nslookup / resolver behaviour, appending domains?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Apr 3 18:37:40 UTC 2000

In article <38E8D633.9652E4CA at tdx.co.uk>,
Karl Pielorz  <kpielorz at tdx.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>If I have:
>
>"
>domains      test.com  pleasant.com  something.com

Don't you mean "search" rather than "domains"?

>nameserver   192.168.0.1
>"
>
>In my /etc/resolv.conf,
>
>When I do:
>
>nslookup -type=any something-not-existing.com
>
>Named does lookups for:
>
>something-not-existing.com/ANY/IN
>something-not-existing.com.test.com/ANY/IN
>something-not-existing.com.pleasant.com/ANY/IN
>something-not-existing.com.something.com/ANY/IN
>

>Apart from removing the offending domains from /etc/resolv.conf - Is there
>anyway of disabling this behaviour? - So that nslookup/named will _only_ try
>the domain name I provided, and not try appending the domains in
>/etc/resolv.conf to it in turn?

The whole point of putting domains in the "search" line is that you want
the resolver to try them all.  If you don't want the resolver to do this,
remove the lines.

I suspect what you actually want is for it to use them if the name doesn't
have any dots, but not use them if the name already has dots.  I don't
think there's a way to specify that.

If you end a name with "." in a query, that indicates that it's fully
qualified already, and the resolver won't try appending any defaults.  E.g.

nslookup =type=any something-not-existing.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com