Bind 8.2.2P5 on FreeBSD 4.0

Tony Earnshaw tonye at ilion.nl
Sat Apr 1 13:46:21 UTC 2000

Rinaldi Ariesta R wrote:

> Does Bind 8.2.2.P5 run well on FreeBSD 4.0 ? I tried to upgrade my O/S
> and my Bind version, but the named didn't run well....It failed to load
> its old configuration,  and i couldn't even list the primary zone using
> nslookup...

> Is there anybody who has experience in installing Bind 8.2.2 P5 under
> FreeBSD 4.0 ? I really need some advices now...

No experience with BSD. My experience is solely confined to SCO's
OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5.

But. If you compile yourself, and the binaries compile and run, and all
is normal (no shared library if applicable or linker errors) BIND
8.2.2-P5 should run on any Unix.

However. What I noticed was, that 8.2.2 is FAR more choosy about what it
will accept in named.conf than 8.1.2. You don't say what BIND version
you were running previously, nor yet if the BIND about which you enquire
was delivered with the OS upgrade.

Rolling your own is almost ALWAYS better than installing an RPM,
SCO-deliverd SLS/tls whatever; you name it.

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw
Randstad 2157