Can you use DHCP to assign an address to the downstream interface used by dhcrelay?

Vallevand, Mark K Mark.Vallevand at UNISYS.com
Wed Feb 28 13:36:26 UTC 2024

Basically, it was a project requirement to allow a DHCP address on the dhcp_relay interface.

Regards.

Mark K Vallevand
Unisys 651-635-7708 | mark.vallevand at unisys.com<mailto:mark.vallevand at unisys.com>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA6A18.D5725450]<http://www.unisys.com/>

From: dhcp-users <dhcp-users-bounces at lists.isc.org> On Behalf Of Renyk de'Vandre
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 6:53 AM
To: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: RE: Can you use DHCP to assign an address to the downstream interface used by dhcrelay?

Hi All, Re: below Just read this and it had me curious, can you explain why you don't want to or can't set a static IP address on your dhcp relay interface? It would be good to see your basic topology: i. e. DHCP SERVER <--> routing infrastructure

Hi All,

Re: below

Just read this and it had me curious, can you explain why you don't want to or can't set a static IP address on your dhcp relay interface?   It would be good to see your basic topology:

i.e.

DHCP SERVER  <-->   routing infrastructure <-->  edge router  <--> switched infrastructure 1 <--> dhcprelay requiring dhcp lease for relay interface  <-->  switched infrastructure 2 <--> client requiring dhcp lease

My thoughts were:

1.  (what is the dhcprelay running on)

2.   Are the switched infrastructure 1 and switched infrastructure 2  separate i.e. broadcasts from 2 and 1 are separate?

If that was the case (just thinking out loud here) I first thought you could you put an ip helper on the edge router which would listen for the broadcast from the dhcprelay interface address and assign an address, however this would not work because this would only work for assigning an address to the upstream interface between edge router and switched infrastructure 1....    so I totally agree below I can't see  how this could be made to work....   and if the switched infrastructure 1 and 2 are collapsed with the edge router and dhcprelay on the same switched network then why do you need the dhcprelay instead of using the edge router/vlan interface and ip helpers....   (all conjecture here).

but back to my main thought, what is the reason for not wanting to assign the static address on the dhcp-relay..

Ren