Looking for DHCP migration experience, also feedback on the Kea Migration Assistant tool

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Wed May 10 14:17:51 UTC 2023

Hello DHCP users-

Next week Carsten Strotmann is giving our third webinar on migrating from ISC DHCP to Kea. He will be focusing on the project-planning aspect of doing a DHCP migration.  (registration link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_3ThmsX6WRJKU7PFr01ybwg)  If you have any advice to share, based on your own experience, we would love to hear it.

After we get the next stable branch of Kea launched (in June) we plan to revisit the Kea Migration Assistant tool (https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/dhcp/-/wikis/kea-migration-assistant), to see if we can update it and improve the documentation.  We want to make migration less painful, however we can, for our open source users.  We also will soon have a new tool - not yet fully tested or documented, for translating ISC DHCP lease files (https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/keama-leases).

We are a little concerned about promoting the configuration translation tool further to DHCP users because we have had virtually zero feedback from the DHCP user community. Our ability to test the tool ourselves is limited: the best feedback would be to hear from users who tried translating different source DHCP configuration files.  The same applies to the lease migration tool.

If you have attempted to migration from ISC DHCP to Kea, or used the KeaMa migration assistant, please consider sharing your experience - good or bad - on the list. We, as well as other users, would like to know how well this works, and what the issues are.  If you have a specific issue with the tool itself, please open a ticket in the DHCP repo and label it with “Keama”: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/dhcp/-/issues.

We have 37 issues related to migrating from ISC DHCP to Kea in the Kea repo. All but one of these were opened by ISC staff. Please feel free to open issues if you find you have migration-blocking feature requirements for Kea, and apply the “migration” label: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues .

Regards,

Vicky Risk
Product Manager, isc.org <http://isc.org/>