[EXTERNAL] extremely slow DHCPD startup time

Shane Merritt smerritt at ua.edu
Tue Jan 10 20:55:39 UTC 2023

I wanted to follow up to my own post in case someone else encounters this issue in the future. The problem I discovered was that DHCPD keeps a record of the last lease for a given client forever so that it can try to give the client that address again. We had over 300,000 leases in the leases file that were in a binding state other than active (e.g. expired, free). The majority of these were no doubt from client devices that will not ever show up on our network again. At the end of the semester, I stopped the primary and failover servers and ran a Perl script I wrote to go through and get rid of all these inactive leases.  The load times changed to seconds and we have suffered no ill effects in the nearly one month since I did this.

Shane Merritt
Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama
smerritt at ua.edu