multiple «hardware ethernet» for the same IP address

Vincent LE NEZET vincent.le.nezet at ens.psl.eu
Wed Feb 15 14:07:08 UTC 2023

Hello,

I have a question about the support of multiple mac address for the same
IP in isc-dhcp-server.

The user support team register client's mac address in the dhcp.

So that clients always have the same IP address, they create two «host»
blocks in the conf with the same IP, but two differents mac : one for
the ethernet card of the PC and one for the dock on the user's desk.

Given that it could result in an address conflict, it surprises me that
isc-dhcp accept this. Is it because of a RFC ?

However I don't find anything in RFCs nor in the isc doc which could
explain this.

Could you help me ?

thanks and have a good day

--