Permit/deny lists and behavior

perl-list perl-list at network1.net
Wed Nov 16 16:23:51 UTC 2022

the absence of any allow or deny keywords just means that the dhcp server does not consider if a client is known or unknown for that subnet.

If you add allow known-clients or allow unknown-clients then the inverse becomes true (deny known-clients and deny unknown-clients respectively).

You cannot have both an allow and a deny in the same subnet.  It won't be considered a syntax error but it also won't do what you expect.

Known clients are defined by having a host {} entry.

Unknown clients mean they have no host {} entry.

You can also allow/deny members of a class {}.  These you might see multiple allow lines like:

allow members of "class1";
allow members of "class2";