IP swapping for network restart or reboot for ubuntu client

Kraishak Mahtha kraishak.edu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:40:01 UTC 2022

Hi all,
While observing the packet capture comparing the Microsoft DHCP server (the
one which is working fine in primary and failover) Vs the ISC DHCP server I
have observed the following:
In the Microsoft DHCP server, the IP address is bound to the client
identifier and IAID, I think this is how it is trying to bond the same IP
when pointed to the Microsoft DHCP cluster
Command Output:
PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-dhcpserverv4lease | select ipaddress,
clientid, hostname,addressstate,leaseexpirytime
cmdlet Get-DhcpServerv4Lease at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
ScopeId: 192.168.0.0

IPAddress       : 192.168.0.152
clientid        : 9f-6e-85-24-00-02-00-00-ab-11-43-a9-47-2d-16-23-11-5e
hostname        : test.example.com
addressstate    : Active
leaseexpirytime : 6/16/2022 12:13:45 PM

In the above example(9f-6e-85-24 --> is the client IAID and
43-a9-47-2d-16-23-11-5e is the client identifier and not sure what is the
meaning for 00-02-00-00-ab )
Does any one has idea if we can use the client identifier value and IAID as
the unique element instead of mac address while granting the IP address in
ISC DHCP
Any help or suggestions is much appreciated

Thanks in Advance