Question

Leslie Rhorer lesrhorer at siliconventures.net
Sat Jun 4 02:19:22 UTC 2022

On 6/3/2022 10:39 AM, Gregory Sloop wrote:

> Are you *sure* that both machines are on the same broadcast network?
>
> (Or at least have a dhcp helper that will relay dhcp broadcasts?)
>
> Just because the peers can talk to each other (finally) doesn't mean
> they're on the same broadcast network.

     Yes, I am sure.  The servers are plugged into the same switch, and
they have adjacent IP addresses (192.168.1.50/23 and 192.168.1.51/23).

> (And, as far as packet capture. I doubt that you need 10G between the
> peers - so you could always force the ports to something slower -
> 100Mbps would probably be way more bandwidth than peer
> communication/leases really needs - then a packet capture should be
> easy. (And once you've got it working, turn the speed back up, if you
> really want/need it.)

     Not necessary.  Over time, now, they have both served numerous IP
addresses.  I was just mildly surprised the hosts were sending unicast
requests, but I suppose it makes sense.  It cuts down a little - not
much - on broadcast traffic, making the network more efficient.