Question

Leslie Rhorer lesrhorer at siliconventures.net
Fri Jun 3 13:23:31 UTC 2022

On 6/3/2022 5:03 AM, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> ok, now we are getting somewhere...
>
> Note startup error messages should be in syslog, or perhaps "systemctl
> status isc-dhcp-server" will show them.
     I have it logging to /var/log/dhcp/dhcp.log with logrotate enabled
for the directory, but that doesn't really matter.

> So having the "wrong" network range would cause issues, the requests
> come in from a certain subnet, and the server tries to match the
> requests to a subnet definition, but of course on the secondary server
> it doesn't have 192.168.0.0 so it can't offer an address. That
> explains why there is no requests being served.
     I think maybe you lost me.  Both are on the same /23 subnet, just
in one case not where I wanted them.  Both 192.168.0.200 - 240 and
192.168.1.220 - 240 are on 192.168.0/23.

> One of them needs to be "secondary"
     How the heck did that happen?  I could swear one was set to
"secondary".
> , eg changing backup to be the back up server should have this as the
> failover peer setting. mclt is only specified on  primary. This would
> definitely be causing problems now as you have top primary failover
> peers for the same subnet. Before there were two different subnets, so
> no clashes as failover is done on a subnet by subnet basis. You could
> have different peers for each subnet for example.
     Hmm, OK, maybe I follow.
> With this change I think it should work now... fingers crossed :)

     Yeah.  What you said.