Question

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Jun 3 04:15:05 UTC 2022

Hi Leslie,

You've got "split 0" in the failover section - this causes dhcpd to
prefer one of the servers for all renewals, so this might be a reason
only one server is logging any renewals. "split 128" does a 50-50
balance between the servers and is the more common setting.

"not responding (recovering)" sounds like the failover protocol hasn't
synced between the servers, so it won't respond to any requests while
it's in that state to prevent both dhcpd servers handing out conflicting
log messages to syslog when failover states change.

You could use tcpdump or wireshark to look and see if there is any
traffic on tcp port 647 between the servers. Also the dhcpd.conf man
page in the section titled FAILOVER STARTUP goes through the steps and
may help debug what's going on.

I think you might have already done this, bu check there is no local
firewall rules on the server blocking failover traffic between those
ports.

dhcpd.leases is the current lease file, you can run tail -f to see
updates being appended. Every hour it renames this to dhcpd.leases~ and
writes out a new dhcpd.leases from the in-memory copy of the data.
dhcpd.leases is only ever appended to, so you can have multiple entries
for the same IP address - the last one is the active state. When the
file gets re-written it removes all the duplicate records.

regards,
Glenn