DHCPD Leases, no way to clean the file?

glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Aug 21 13:00:05 UTC 2022

Hi Jorge

This is from the dhcpd.conf man page:

          The one-lease-per-client statement

             one-lease-per-client flag;

             If this flag is enabled, whenever a client sends a
DHCPREQUEST for
             a particular lease, the server will automatically free  any
other
             leases the client holds.  This presumes that when the client
sends
             a DHCPREQUEST, it has forgotten any lease  not  mentioned
in  the
             DHCPREQUEST - i.e., the client has only a single network
interface
             and it does not remember leases it's holding on networks to
which
             it  is  not  currently attached.  Neither of these
assumptions are
             guaranteed or provable, so we urge caution  in  the  use  of
  this
             statement.

So you could use:

one-lease-per-client true;

This is not always what you might want though. dhcpd follows the RFC
precisely, and this means that if you connect to a particular subnet it
should try to give you the same IP address as you had last time. Setting
one-lease-per-client means it will forget the leases on other subnets.
This is why it's a settable parameter - the default is the "safer"
option.

The man pages for dhcpd.conf, dhcpd, dhcpd.leases, dhcp-eval are worth
looking at if you haven't

regards,
Glenn