Failover Peer Issue with Polycom SoundStation IP 6000 Phone

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 22:19:32 UTC 2020

Will Bashlor <will.bashlor at btctelcom.net> wrote:

> Hopefully someone can help me. I'm on CentOS using ISC dhcp version 4.2.5.
>
> We have many Polycom phones, but only 1 model in particular is having issues obtaining an IP address from our ISC DHCP server. I see all 4 DORA DHCP packets, but the request and ack keeps repeating and the phone doesn't get an IP and says "Error DHCP Failed" after about 1 minute. After that it may take 1 hour, or maybe 30 minutes to actually get the IP. All other Polycom models are working fine and obtain an IP in a few seconds.
>
> If I stop the secondary failover server's DHCP service, then the phone I'm having an issue with gets an IP immediately.

I think the best step to take is to collect traffic dumps in the two cases - pcap, wireshark, ...
You can then inspect the packets to see if there is anything different between them.

When you stop the peer, do you put the remaining server into partner down state ?
Two things come to mind, one is a difference in lease times, the other is that the phone doesn't like getting multiple responses (shouldn't be a problem, it's part of the spec).

Simon