Raw IP interface support under Linux

Loic Poulain loic.poulain at linaro.org
Mon Nov 2 08:33:50 UTC 2020

Hi Bjørn,

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 19:46, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> Loic Poulain <loic.poulain at linaro.org> writes:
>
> > Currently, network interfaces with ARPHRD_RAWIP sa_family type are not
> > supported by dhclient (contrary to e.g. udhcpc):
> >
> >     dhclient: can't create /var/db/dhclient.leases: No such file or directory
> >     dhclient: Unsupported device type 519 for "rmnet_data1"
> >
> > Is there any plan to add such support? Or any known limitation to not add this?
>
> I don't think there are any such plans.  But it's not difficult to
> fix. I made a proof-of-concept patch 5 years ago:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2015-December/msg00044.html
>
> This is Linux only, but I guess those raw-ip network drivers are too ;-)

Thanks for your input, IMHO, your patch could be merged with very
little changes. Not sure about the right upstream path but I assume
community changes should go through https://gitlab.isc.org. If you
don't plan to do it yourself, would you mind if I try to get your work
merged upstream?

Regards,
Loic