fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 15:31:12 UTC 2020

Bob Harold <rharolde at umich.edu> wrote:

> To get the effect I am looking for, I would have to make a pool of one host with a range of one host, for each host that needs a permanent address, and still have it logged in the leases file.  That gets pretty messy.

Do you specifically need it visible in the config file ?
If not, create a skeleton lease (with reserved flag set) in the leases file for each client. I think the only problem here is stopping the client getting another (non-reserved) address - something in common with using fixed-addresses and host statements.

In terms of visibility, there does seem to be room for a tool that will parse the leases file and report on reserved leases. That's outside my skill zone.

Simon