fixed-address leases in dhcpd.leases

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 15:27:31 UTC 2020

Andrew Bell <andrew at poscomp.ca> wrote:

> Do you want to reserve an address inside the dynamic pool?  I'm not sure if that works, honestly, but I just set aside space in each subnet for reserved addresses and make the pool smaller.

Reserved addresses are different to fixed-addresses.

As you point out, fixed-addresses should not be part of any pool.

A reserved address *IS* part of a pool. Other than having the reserved flag set, it is otherwise identical to any other dynamic lease. It goes through the same lifecycle as any other dynamic lease - leases expire if not renewed - the only difference being that the address will not be re-allocated to any other client. So in that respect it's ideal for what the OP wanted since the lease status can be read by any of the lease state reporting tools.
As already mentioned, it's a bit of an ugly duckling in terms of management. I know it can be set by manually editing the leases file, literally by adding a "reserved;" statement to a lease. I don't know if it can be set via OMAPI.

Simon