MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Jul 24 09:48:54 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

This is not something new, it has been around since IOS 8 in 2014. I
think this page summarises how it works and has links to Apple's site
with more details.

https://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/more-details-on-how-ios-8s-mac-address-randomization-feature-works-and-when-it-doesnt/

It appears that it randomises the MAC address when the device is
passively scanning for networks and other particular settings are
enabled or disabled, so systems can't use the MAC address to
persistently track wherever you go. However, it seems that any
associations/joining of networks is based on the actual MAC address.

Or am I talking about something else entirely different?

regards,
Glenn