dont-use-fsync real world impact

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Sep 28 13:48:47 UTC 2019

> What changes would be required for this to work? A memory pool of
> offered IP addresses which are not to be assigned to new clients?
> Rotating a pool of physical disks to store leases in? Multiple
> synchronised DHCP servers?
>
> I am just trying to find a solution to this problem that is infinitely
> scalable.

But in practice you don't need infinite scalability, because you don't
have an infinite number of customers.

It's reasonably simple to scale up by using fast storage (battery backed
RAID with a suitable amount of memory is common), more servers and more
locations. Of course it has a cost - but so does your (or my) time.
Where do you want to spend your money?

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no