dhclient and custom Linux routing tables (VRF)

Thomas Markwalder tmark at isc.org
Fri Jun 7 11:41:30 UTC 2019

Configuring interfaces and routing tables and what not are extremely OS
implementation dependent and as such dhclient itself has never directly
changed any of these things.  Operations like this are actually carried
out by a helper shell script which dhclient invokes at various stages of
operation and through out the life cycle of asking for, obtaining, and
releases leases. Prior to each invocation it sets numerous environment
variables with pertinent values like the old ip address, new ip address
etc.  The script is expected to configure interfaces and other OS/site
specific operations, but is generally free to do whatever it wishes, so
long as it returns the appropriate exit statuses.

Refer to  man 8 dhclient-script for details.  You can specify a
customized script via command line, or more properly, you can supply
enter and exit "hook" scripts as described in the man-page.