DHCP lease logging between peers

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Mon Jul 15 14:38:42 UTC 2019

On 15 Jul 2019, at 15:00, Nate Collins wrote:

> Occasionally, however, we will see it where a static DHCP lease is
> handed out by one server, but the lease is not logged in the syslog
> file of the other server, despite being in both dhcpd.leases files:

If I've understood correctly both

- what you wish to achieve, and

- how the software works,

then I think you may be wishing for something which is not available.

Static DHCP leases are defined in `host { ... }` declarations.
As you probably know, a common method for ensuring resilience is
to provision the same `host { ... }` declarations in the configuration
of each of a number of servers.

Dynamic leases are assigned from pools defined in `pool { ... }`
declarations.
Failover peer relationships are also defined in `pool { ... }`
declarations.

The `host { ... }` and `pool { ... }` declarations don't (or shouldn't)
intersect, as the former are in global scope, and the latter in subnet
scope.
Consequently, even identifying the appropriate failover peer to notify
when
a static lease is (re-)assigned (let alone delivering the notification)
is
not possible.

I hope I've not misunderstood, and that this helps.

Best regards,
Niall O'Reilly