The fixed-address parameter, a hostname or an IP Address?

Juan Antonio García Moreno jagarcia at emergya.com
Tue Feb 5 08:20:14 UTC 2019

Hi everybody,

This is my first post in the list.

I have inherited a network installation that has a ISC DHCP Server and a
Bind9.

When I have saw the DHCP config file (dhcpd.conf), I have missed because
the host definitions are as follow:

host pc-user-01 {
   hardware ethernet fa:ba:da:26:bb:5a;
   fixed-address pc-user-01.dominio.com;
}

And on the DNS config file are the IP Address definition as follow:

Direct resolution -->        pc-user-01   A    192.168.100.100
Reverse resolution --> 100   IN   PTR   pc-user-01.dominio.com.

I everytime have configured the host definition as follow:

host pc-user-01 {
   hardware ethernet fa:ba:da:26:bb:5a;
   fixed-address 192.168.100.100;
}

I have searched information about this way to configure the host definition
and I haven't found nothing about to configure a name in the fixed-address
parameter instead an IP Address.

Is this way to configure the host definition correct?

Where is the documentation that explain this?

Regards,

Juan García