Recommendation for redundancy

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 13:13:26 UTC 2018

"Pereida, Alejandro" <APereida at IID.com> wrote:

> We have been using a single Linux server as our DHCP server running ISC DHCP Server 4.3.1
> We are building a “secondary datacenter” for disaster recovery purposes. What is the most recommended
> Option for implementing a redundant DHCP server scenario in case the main datacenter (where the DHCP server resides)
> goes dark?

You need to expand a bit - is this to support the existing addresses, or another range, or something else ? And are the sites permanently networked together ?

In principle, all you need to do is add another server in a failover pair - and then both servers will support the same address range(s). Given the additional hop, it's likely that the on-site server will handle requests most of the time as it'll get a reply back to the clients first.