DHCP IP assignment issue - dhcp failover scenario

Simon Hobson simon at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 19:39:47 UTC 2018

Usman Ahmad <usman.hfd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Clients subnet gateway is configured as vip between both relay routers and this vip is active on router-2.

OK

> And each router is taking physical address as Gi-addr configured for the vrrp of client subnet.

That's unclear to me. Does that mean that the relays are using .253 or .254, or using .1 ? They really need to be using .253 and .254 respectively to avoid issues.

> Regarding dhcp servers routing; dhcp01 gateway is router1 and dhcp02 gateway is router2.

I would put in explicit routing rules. Ie, in server 1 put a rule for the client subnet via relay 1, and similarly for server 2 routing via relay 2.

Also, is the routing setup properly such that if server1 were to send a packet to router 1 (at it's client subnet address) via router 2, then router 2 would correctly forward the packet ?
And are there any filters/firewall that might block traffic ?