Match dhcp6.remote-id to CLASS

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Mon Jul 10 14:55:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Jose Jr. Catubigan <jlcatubiganjr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We want to match option dhcp6.remote-id to CLASS. Below are our not
> working configuration.
> CPE gets the ip from fallback pool.

> authoritative;
> log-facility local6;
>
> log (info, concat("CPE Normal Lease: ", binary-to-ascii(16,16,":",substring(option
> dhcp6.ia-na, 16, 16))));
>
> # IPv6 CPE Class
> class "CPE.v6" {match option dhcp6.remote-id;}
>
> subclass "CPE.v6" 08:80:39:AC:C9:C0;
>
> shared-network lab-cpe {
>         subnet6 2001:d800:4010::/48 {
>                 deny unknown-clients;
>                 option dhcp6.name-servers 2001:d800:1000:1::2;
>                 default-lease-time 3600;
>                 max-lease-time 3600;
>                         # CPE.v6
>                         pool6 {
>                                 range6 2001:d800:4010::2
> 2001:d800:4010::10;
>                                 allow members of "CPE.v6";
>                         }
>
>                         # Fallback pool
>                         pool6 {
>                                 range6 2001:d800:4010::11
> 2404:3c00:4010::20;
>                         }
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --joecat--

I am pretty sure that once the client gets an IP from the 'fallback' pool,
both the server and client will continue to use that IP even if the CPE
pool matches.  I think you need to add to the second pool:
      deny members of " CPE.v6";
You could instead try to remove (or block with a DHCP reserved) any IP the
client got previously, but that probably won't be enough.

That breaks the "failover" idea, but DHCP really does not have that
concept.  It considers all pools "equally", although it usually fills the
first before starting the next.

--
Bob Harold