Log lease time

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Sat Dec 16 02:46:43 UTC 2017

So, thread drift... :)
Really, what I've found, via other looks at the logs.

I have a few [perhaps a dozen] machines that are DHCPREQUEST'ing vastly more often than they should.
Yet if I look at the leases file, all except a couple are getting the proper 4h lease.
Yet, the most problematic one is DHCPREQUEST'ing about every 10 seconds! [It varies, what I've seen anyway, from 8s to around 60s.

So, I'd assume this is a client problem, until proven otherwise.

Turns out most of the top problem clients are on Wifi. [Ubiquiti Unifi, multiple buildings/multiple AP network.]
We're not aware of these clients falling off the network and then getting back on - though I suppose I can't say for sure that's not happening.

Does anyone have some great tips as what might be causing the issue?

TIA
-Greg

Hi,
If you declare as a global parameter the max lease time, min leas time and default lease time even if the end user device may have it's own lease time parameter pre-configured, it will obey to the global parameter you will set.
I had the same problem with some of my devices but after declaring with the same lease time for max,min and default it was fixed.

Endrit.H