Mechanism for forcing release of lease from the DHCP server end

Thomas Markwalder tmark at isc.org
Tue Aug 22 13:38:29 UTC 2017

Hello all:

It is possible to connect to ISC_DHCP via omshell and change the lease
state to released as
shown below.  The following example you're connecting from the machine
ISC_DHCP
is running on and you didn't specify a key in the server config:

1. Start omshell and connect to ISC DHCP:

centos64 isc_dhcp $ tip/bin/omshell
> server localhost
> port 7911
> connect
obj: <null>

2. Create a new lease object and set the ip-address to
the address of the desired lease:
> new lease
obj: lease
> set ip-address=178.16.1.127
omapi_set_value (ip-address, 4 18bed8c)
 ==> success
obj: lease
ip-address = b2:10:01:7f

3. Fetch the lease via the open object command
> open
omapi_set_value (op, 1)
 ==> success
   :
   :
obj: lease
ip-address = b2:10:01:7f
state = 00:00:00:02
subnet = 00:00:00:02
pool = 00:00:00:03
hardware-address = 08:00:27:99:72:be
hardware-type = 00:00:00:01
ends = 59:9c:30:bc
starts = 59:9c:2f:90
tstp = 00:00:00:00
tsfp = 00:00:00:00
atsfp = 00:00:00:00
cltt = 59:9c:2f:90
flags = 00

4. Set the lease state to FTS_RELEASED (i.e. 4)
set state=4
omapi_set_value (state, 4)
 ==> success
obj: lease
ip-address = b2:10:01:7f
state = 4
subnet = 00:00:00:02
pool = 00:00:00:03
hardware-address = 08:00:27:99:72:be
hardware-type = 00:00:00:01
ends = 59:9c:30:bc
starts = 59:9c:2f:90
tstp = 00:00:00:00
tsfp = 00:00:00:00
atsfp = 00:00:00:00
cltt = 59:9c:2f:90
flags = 00

5. Save the change via the update object command:
> update
omapi_set_value (op, 3)
 ==> success
omapi_set_value (object, dhcpctl-remote)
 ==> success
omapi_set_value (handle, 4)
 ==> success
omapi_set_value (result, 4 18c03fc)
 ==> success
obj: lease
ip-address = b2:10:01:7f
state = 4
subnet = 00:00:00:02
pool = 00:00:00:03
hardware-address = 08:00:27:99:72:be
hardware-type = 00:00:00:01
ends = 59:9c:30:bc
starts = 59:9c:2f:90
tstp = 00:00:00:00
tsfp = 00:00:00:00
atsfp = 00:00:00:00
cltt = 59:9c:2f:90
flags = 00

omshell(1) discusses this in general terms.  dhcpd.conf(5) describes how
to configure ISC_DHCP for OMAPI connections.

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder
ISC Software Engineering