DHCPv6 PD oddity with client changing prefix size.

Tim DeNike tim at denike.us
Tue Aug 15 15:20:44 UTC 2017

I honestly don't remember.. It was something off the wall and happened over
a year ago.  Not your typical netgear/linksys/dlink consumer router.

If I come across it again, ill keep it in mind and let you know.

Im still not pro /48 per user.. Flexible availability of larger subnets for
sure.  Primary concern is compatibility, not giving everyone 65000 subnets
by default.  98% of our users that have IPv6 probably don't even realize
they have it.  Thats the way it should be.  The transition should be
transparent to the sheep.  Literally 0.04% of our user base has requested
longer than a /64.

The default should be what works in every case, not what wed like to see in
a perfect world.  The world is hardly perfect.  The last thing we need to
do is have help desk arguing with customers about how their $42 dollar
no-brand router sucks and they are stupid for getting it.