dhcpd (via systemd) @boottime which does not wait for the interface..

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Mon May 9 19:27:55 UTC 2016

On 05/04/2016 11:46 AM, lejeczek wrote:

> hi users
>
> I have my dhcpd to serve nothing but virbr0 (libvirt), OS is Centos 7.2

Depending on how ancient the systemd release is in CentOS you have, if
you dont need a full blown dhcp server like isc dhcp and are just using
a simply setup with virtualization and containers you can use systemd
networkd.

systemd-networkd supports DHCP (client/server), networks with static IP,
bridges, tunnels, VLANs, Wireless (with wpa_supplicant) and you can use
it with systemd-resolved as resolver with DNS cache and systemd
timesyncd for network time synchronization.

Once networkd gets a bus interface you probably will see systemd based
distribution start discussing dropping the legacy sysv initscript so you
might want to familiarize yourself with it's configuration syntax, pros
and cons and it's command line tools even if you dont need it or want it.

Here for example is a benchmarking comparison with isc dhcp [¹] for such
simple setup but if you need something more heavyweight than simple, you
should be using isc dhcp.

JBG

1. https://tlhp.cf/systemd-networkd-migration-and-benchmarks/