DHCPREQUEST flooding

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Thu May 5 15:57:44 UTC 2016

On 05/05/2016 09:51 AM, Patrick Trapp wrote:
> Do the 300-ish devices share anything in particular in their configurations? Is the configuration you shared pertinent to some of your culprits?

Good question, and one that I did not fully address in my original
config. We're talking ISP customers here, in an aging, rural population.
I am certain that 99% of these devices are factory config (and probably
have never been updated) with the only change being a non-factory SSID
and possibly WPA config (although many don't want a password on their
wireless). As I did say, there are multiple generations of routers out
there (Linksys, Cisco, Cisco-Linksys, Belkin), so that doesn't seem to
indicate a particular model or firmware to target.

> Can you confirm that the ACK are reaching the devices?

We have confirmed that the ACK is being sent from the access gear out
the customer's interface to the customer's device.  I can't confirm any
further than that without actually going to the customer's premise and
performing some captures.

> Do any of the devices lose their address entirely and have to be rebooted to get back on the network or is this issue literally only apparent to you and your logs?

We haven't had any customer complaints indicating that they are needing
reboots.  It looks like it's only impacting the logs and not the
customer's experience.

Alex Moen
NSTII
North Dakota Telephone Company