Failure of dhcp server failover

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Mon May 2 20:34:56 UTC 2016

03.05.2016 2:44, Simon Hobson пишет:

> Wel it is well known that very small address ranges "do not work well" in failover situations.
>  It's hard to balance free leases between two servers when there is only one lease !

In face, it is not :-) The server in failover mode knows if it is "primary" or not
and could control last of single lease of a pool only if it is primary.

> Since each device-address mapping is mapping a single entity to a single address,
>  I don't see what failover brings to the party other than problems.
>  You could simply define the same (non-failover) single address pool on both servers and it'll work fine.
>  On initial setup, the client will get two identical offers - one from each server -
>  but after that it will simply renew with the server it accepted an offer from.
> If that server goes down, the other server will be able to give it the same address without having to involve failover.

Just like all brilliant!

I was under (wrong) impression that failover mode is global thing and completely missed
the fact that each pool has its own "failover" settings. I'm switching all my single address pools
to non-failover configuration and turining second server on again. Will see if it helps.