Failure of dhcp server failover

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Sun May 1 08:24:00 UTC 2016

01.05.2016 13:23, Niall O'Reilly пишет:
> On 30 Apr 2016, at 22:41, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Is it possibly to run pair of ISC DHCP Servers in a failover mode
>> and reliably supply static allocations for some DHCP clients,
>> e.g. using pools containing single IPv4 address?
>
>    Yes, but I wouldn’t configure for the statically-addressed devices
>    using the class/fool/failover technique.  Instead, I would use
>    simple host declarations, duplicated in each server’s configuration.
>
>    So, instead of
>
>>   # vlan 1600 = 0x640
>>   class "ward2-vlan1600" {
>>     match if binary-to-ascii(16, 8, ":", hardware) = "1:44:d9:e7:58:fd:e1"
>>     and substring(binary-to-ascii(16, 8, ".", option agent.circuit-id), 0, 8) = "0.4.6.40";
>>   }
>
>    I would use
>
>      host ward2-vlan1600 {
>        fixed-address 10.19.50.13;
>        hardware ethernet 44:d9:e7:58:fd:e1;
>      }
>
>    I expect that using agent.circuit-id is redundant, as the MAC address should
>    uniquely identify each device.  If you need to defend against hardware address
>    collisions, you have “other problems”.

As I have wrote in the first letter, AP makes use of several IP addresses (one per vlan)
asking for them using the same MAC address. Such requests differ in option 82 only,
so I'm forced to use classes and matching against agent.circuit-id.

Is it possible to assign more than one fixed-address to the same MAC depending on vlan tag
without usage of classes?

Eugene Grosbein