how to put a host into DNS subdomain?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 17:10:33 UTC 2016

lejeczek <peljasz at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm trying something simple, or I thought it'd be simple
> for organizational, or for test if you like, purposes I would like to have
>
> subdomain.inparent.zone (so no delegations, just in parent zone) - this works with nsupdate simply:
>
> > zone inparent.zone.
> > update add host.subdomain.inparent.zone 86400 in a 10.10.1.10
> > send
> $ host host.subdomain
> and it resolves fine, and if I fix my resolv.conf respectively it even resolves host
>
> but I don't know how to achieve above with dhcpd + ddns.
> Would it be the hosts(dhcp clients) I should be looking at?
> Ideally would be a capacity to do it inside dhcpd.

It might be that you just need to define subdomain.inparent.zone in dhcpd.conf - with the same key as is used for inparent.zone. Then dhcpd will send updates to bind using the right key, while bind actually applies the updates to the inparent.zone zone. From memory the updates are all done as FQDN so it's up to bind to determine which zone the update applies to.

Though it's a lot of years since I set something like that up. You might need to do is define subdomain.inparent.zone as a separate zone in bind and then it would work. Is there any specific reason you can't do that ?