Frustrated DHCP failover not working.. :(

Attila Szalay mochrul at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 19:37:42 UTC 2016

In the master node, you have this configuration option: split 128;

This means, that half of the ip addresses are linked to the master and the
secondary only own the other half.

Of course time-to-time they rebalance the ip pools, but (if I remember
correctly) it only happens after a timeout. So if the clients only reach
one of the hosts, it is possible, that those host (temporally) run out of
hosts.

This is because in normal operation (and with split 128, which means
50-50%) they run more likely as a load-balancing scenario than
master-slave. (Also they split the mac address word to half too and the
slave answer to one half of the macs and the master to the other))