Why would addresses from a range not appear in the lease file

Friesen, Don MTIC:EX Don.Friesen at gov.bc.ca
Mon Apr 25 13:56:08 UTC 2016

>>    Only addresses 1010.200.239 through 10.10.200.253 appear in the
>> dhcpd.leases file, the others in the secondary range, 10.10.200.226
>> through 10.10.200.238 do not.
>>
>>    What would cause this?
>
>   Do the configurations for the shared network in question match on both servers?

   The segments of the config that describe the shared networks are generated on another server and shared to the two equally.

>   And the leases.dhcpd files?

   These same IPs are in each servers lease files.

>   Has each server been restarted to load the new configuration?

   Yes.  When a configuration change happens, the script that builds the files forces a restart.

>   Are there any unexpected log messages referring to communication between the servers?

   No unexpected messages were seen in the log files.

   Over the weekend, 3 addresses that previously did not have lease records now do have lease records.

10.10.200.225     Gateway                                                      fjorv042.lan.net.gov.bc.ca
 10.10.200.226     Dynamic
 10.10.200.227     Dynamic
 10.10.200.228     Dynamic
 10.10.200.229     Dynamic
 10.10.200.230     Dynamic
 10.10.200.231     Dynamic
 10.10.200.232     Dynamic
 10.10.200.233     Dynamic
 10.10.200.234     Dynamic
 10.10.200.235     Dynamic
 10.10.200.236     Dynamic
 10.10.200.237     Dynamic    Dynamic 54EE750  <-- not in leases file previously
 10.10.200.238     Dynamic    Dynamic 54EE754  <-- not in leases file previously
 10.10.200.239     Dynamic    Dynamic 3C18A0
 10.10.200.240     Dynamic    Dynamic 3C970E
 10.10.200.241     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.242     Dynamic    Dynamic 54EE75
 10.10.200.243     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.244     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.245     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.246     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.247     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.248     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.249     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.250     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.251     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.252     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.253     Dynamic    Dynamic
 10.10.200.254                 ---->> Available

   The first column of "Dynamic" is the range, the second is what is seen in the leases file.  My understanding was that with failover all IPs appear in the leases file, active or not.

   If it wasn't for the 239 address, I might have thought the mask was wrong initially.  But now two additional addresses have appeared in the dhcpd.leases file, and been assigned out.  The servers must know about them internally, they are just not being recorded in the dhcpd.leases file.

>   I hope this helps.

   It helps to know I'm not crazy for thinking that failover should be recording the available IPs as well as those taken.

>   Best regards,
 >  Niall O'Reilly

Don Friesen